Back to Recipe Search
Delicious comfort food. Check out our cooking video to learn how to prepare butternut squash.
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- black pepper to taste or red pepper for more spice
- 1 butternut squash softened, peeled, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3-4 C. g f chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. g f Italian spices or garlic salt
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 1-2 Lg. onion(s) diced, try sweet onions
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 med. shallots chopped
- In large soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, shallots, salt and Italian spices, saute for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook till the onions are soft and slightly browned.
- While the onions are cooking, using a fork, polk holes in the squash and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes (check out How to Prepare Butternut Squash video). When cool to the touch, cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, peel and cut into cubes.
- Add the vinegar to the onions. Add the squash and 3 cups of broth, bring to a simmer. Cover and cook till the squash is tender, about 15 to 25 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender or food processor and puree till smooth. Place in a bowl till you have finished the entire batch. Or, use an immersible blender and blend till smooth right in the soup pot.
- Return the bisque to the pot and heat on medium. Add the cream or milk. If a thinner bisque is desired add more broth. Heat till hot and salt and pepper to taste.
Can add cooked shrimp, seasoned with chinese 5 spices or cooked chicken for more protein.
Calories: 200kcalProtein: 3gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 280mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gBack to Recipe Search