Back to Recipe Search
Quinoa Matzo Balls
This recipe is adapted and courtesy of Tamara Duker Freuman, MS, RD, CDN!!
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 C. coconut oil warmed
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 C. quinoa flakes hot cereal flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- Measure out quinoa flakes and xanthan gum and combine in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the two eggs. Add warmed/liquid oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper and beat again until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix well until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (You don’t want the matzoh balls to be crowded).
- Remove batter from refrigerator and wet or oil hands. Make a SMALL amount of batter into a smooth ball shape and drop into the boiling water. (For reference, the batter should be enough to make 10-12 matzoh balls). Each uncooked ball should be no larger than the size of a ping-pong ball, they will expand when cooking.
- Cover pot and cook the quinoa balls, maintaining a rolling boil, for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the balls from boiling water with a slotted spoon and let sit to cool for a few minutes. Then, refrigerate the balls until ready to serve.
- Before serving, place quinoa balls in pot of soup to warm them through.
Be sure to use quinoa flakes, not regular quinoa nor quinoa flour. Don't forget to refrigerate.
Calories: 150kcalProtein: 4gFat: 13gSodium: 130mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gBack to Recipe Search