Back to Recipe Search
Basic polenta recipe. A traditional Italian food it can used as an alternative for starches like rice, potatoes or pasta!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 3/4 C. cornmeal yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. salt
- 6 C. water may replace 2 C of water with chicken broth
- Bring the water or water and chicken broth to a boil in a large soup pot or heavy large saucepan. Add salt (if not using chicken broth).
- Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
- Reduce heat to low and cook till thickened, but tender. Stirring for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the butter. Some also like adding a bit of parmesan cheese. Stir till melted and mixed well.
- Let it set or chill till firm enough to cut wedges or slabs.
- Brush your polenta with olive oil and favorite seasonings and place under the broiler till browned.
- Other Serving Options:
- -Top with chili and shredded cheese.
- -Use as a replacement for lasagna or pasta noodles
- -Roast pieces of sausage, cherry tomatoes tossed with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast till tomatoes are browned. Serve over grilled or boiled polenta.
- -Thinly slice potenta and saute in oil, garlic, mushrooms and onions. Season with salt, pepper, sage and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Top pieces of polenta with a round of chevre cheese, broil till starting to brown. Top each piece with a slice of jalapeno pepper, season with salt.
Time saver: purchase pre cooked polenta in a tube from your grocery store. Nutritional Analysis is based on basic polenta recipe as a main dish.
Calories: 180kcalProtein: 3gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 405mgFiber: 3gSugar: 0.2gBack to Recipe Search