Back to Recipe Search
GF Cheese Blintzes
GF Cheese Blintzes, like crepes
- 1/2 C 2% milk - (FODMAP)
- 1 3/4 C. water
- 3 egg(s) separated (1 for filling)
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- 2/3 C g.f. all-purpose baking flour (plus 3 TBSP for filling)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 16 oz cottage cheese (2 cups),
- 4 oz. cream cheese - (FODMAP)
- 3-4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Blintz Batter (outer shell):In a small bowl, combine the milk, water, 2 eggs and melted butter, whisk together. Add the flour and salt and whisk well, so there are no lumps. Cover and refrigerate for one hour. This allows the batter to set and not have a rubbery texture.Place a cloth tablecloth or towel flat on a counter or table. You will use this to cool the blintz shell on, till ready to add the filling.Coat an 8-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray or oil. Heat over medium heat. Remove batter from refrigerator and stir lightly.Pour about 1/4 C of batter into center of heated skillet and swirl around to coat the bottom evenly. Then pour excess back into bowl. Cook till top appears dry, about 2 or 2 1/2 minutes. Then turn the blintz/crepe over onto the cloth tablecloth or towel. If you have trouble turning the shell out of the pan, slightly loosen the edges or hit the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen, till it falls out flat onto the cloth.
- Filling:In a blender or food processor, add the cottage cheese, cream cheese, 1 egg and 3 Tbsps of GF flour. Process till smooth. Add the sugar and extracts, process till combined.Spread 2 tablespoons of filling onto each shell. Fold opposite sides toward each other, then fold top and bottom toward each other to make a square or rectangle shape.Spray a 12-inch non-stick skillet with cooking spray or a little oil, heat to medium. Place filled blintz in the heated skillet, seam side down. Cook for 2-4 minutes till golden brown and flip to the other side. Cook again till golden brown.Serve with berries or fruit salad.
Some like to use a spinach filling, like a spinach quiche or a fruit filling. I like to place the cottage cheese in a strainer for about 30 minutes, to remove excess liquid before combining it in the blender or processor.
Serving: 2BlintzCalories: 275kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 14gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 474mgFiber: 0.4gSugar: 10gBack to Recipe Search